- "Speaking the truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act."
- "To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle."
- "All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others."
- "Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind."
- "[It is] necessary to remember that events happened in the desired manner. And if it is necessary to rearrange one's memories . . . Then it is necessary to forget that one has done so. The trick of doing this can be learned like any other mental technique. . . . It is called doublethink."
- "Pacifism is objectively pro-fascist. This is elementary common sense. If you hamper the war effort of one side, you automatically help out that of the other. Nor is there any real way of remaining outside such a war as the present one. In practice, he that is not with me is against me."
- "Every generation imagines itself to be more intelligent than the one that went before it, and wiser than the one that comes after it."