- "No one is useless in this world who lightens the burden of it to anyone else."
- "There is a wisdom of the head, and a wisdom of the heart."
- "I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year."
- "Time was with most of us, when Christmas Day, encircling all our limited world like a magic ring, left nothing out for us to miss or seek; bound together all our home enjoyments, affections, and hopes; grouped everything and everyone round the Christmas fire, and make the little picture shining in our bright young eyes, complete."
- "Minds, like bodies, will often fall into a pimpled, ill-conditioned state from mere excess of comfort."
- "Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but – I hope – into a better shape"
- "I have always thought of Christmas time, when it has come round, as a good time; a kind, forgiving, charitable time; the only time I know of, in the long calendar of the year, when men and women seem by one consent to open their shut-up hearts freely, and to think of people below them as if they really were fellow passengers to the grave, and not another race of creatures bound on other journeys."